Wednesday 14 March 2012

Surprises

My latest strategy to tensegrify objects with a pseudo-corner linking tendons yielded some surprising results. Like mentioned in the last blog, it reduces the total amount of string required, although it might take a bit more time to prepare all components. Building models with those already joined tendons was surprisingly easy, however, precision is paramount, and especially on smaller scale tricky to achieve.


When things come together nicely, magic seems to happen. The shot shows an icosahedron with braided nylon string (not really stretchy), flattened and held together by a paper clip. I was very hesitant to push this model to the limit, yet couldn't stop once it bounced back happily. A collapsible model with non-elastic string, which makes me wonder whether I can build collapsible models of other shapes that do the same. Well, as I have a bit more building material at home I'm not too concerned about having some breakage during the experimental stage.

I want to explore the effect (and potentially integration) of UV light on my structures. The results are already very promising, much better that the photo suggests. Most of the nylon string has already a fluoro colour, spray painting the struts as well could bring some dramatic effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment